Whole Family Will Died Consuming Food


Potatoes are undoubtedly the most consumed vegetables in the world. Tasty, satiating and can be stored for relatively long periods, they also offer many benefits to health. Only in some cases, these vegetables can become toxic. Is the story of a Russian family who died following exposure to rotten potatoes.


It is in a town near the capital of the Republic of Tatarstan, a family was decimated. Only survivor: a child of 8 years.

In 2013, Maria Chelysheva has lost his father, mother, older brother and his grandmother after a most unlikely incident: they died after inhaling a gas emitted by rotten potatoes they kept in their cellar.

According to the police report, the father of Maria, aged 42, was the first to go down in the basement and was directly fainted. His wife Anastasia, aged 38, noting that it had been slow, became concerned and decided to go get it. But it suffers the same fate as her husband. Their 18 year old son is also not escaped after starting view.

Grandmother 68 years old, finding these very doubtful followed disappearances, and called the neighbors to ask them for help. By the time they arrive, she went down to the cellar and collapsed on the floor after the effect of the gases emitted by the potatoes.

There were only little Maria who, frightened, decided also to go down to the basement to find the whole family. There she found the bodies strewn on the floor. A tragic and traumatic scene whose small never surrender.

But why did Maria does not experience the same fate as his family? Chance sometimes good things. The grandmother Maria had accidentally left the door open cave, unaware that with this gesture, it would save the life of his daughter. The gases were dissipated and did not affect the child.


Local police inspectors have confirmed that the family was dead effect of gas poisoning that had accumulated in the basement following the potatoes that were left there for too long.

This story will certainly excite many readers, but will also raise awareness of the danger that can represent rotten potatoes.

How to explain this incident?

Potatoes contain toxic compounds known as glycoalkaloids. These are naturally occurring substances in other plants of the nightshade family.

This vegetable contains particular solanine and chaconine, substances toxic to humans when consumed excessively. They can affect the nervous system and cause confusion and a feeling of weakness. Glycoalkaloids can also cause diarrhea, cramps, headaches, or in more severe cases, coma or death.

Normally, the glycoalkaloids rate increases in the tuber following exposure of potatoes to light or when they are no longer fresh.

The rotten potatoes then emit a toxic gas that has many health consequences and can even be fatal, as was the case of the family of Maria Chelysheva.

How to reduce exposure to glycoalkaloid?

Although cases of poisoning potatoes are very rare, caution is advised. Here are some tips to prevent:
  • Do not eat potatoes with sprouts
  • Store these vegetables in a dry place and away from light in order to reduce the formation of glycoalkaloids
  • Take the green or rotten potatoes
  • Peel the potatoes to reduce the level of glycoalkaloids


Post A Comment: