When one enjoys a fulfilling intimacy life, it is rare that one cares about the quality of the sperm or the number of spermatozoa. But on the day when we decide to have children, we try to put all the chances on our side, starting with strong and enduring spermatozoa that can easily reach the egg and fertilize it. However, this widespread and seemingly harmless habit risks jeopardizing your design project by reducing the quality of the sperm. Let's find out!
Where does the sperm come from?
Sperm is this whitish liquid secreted during ejaculation. It is composed of three main elements:
The pre-seminal fluid produced by the Cowper glands which has the role of removing any trace of urine from the urethra and lubricating the glans
The seminal fluid secreted by the prostate and the seminal vesicles makes it possible to nourish the spermatozoa, to confer on them their mobility and to neutralize the natural acidity of the vagina in order to enable them to reach the cervix
The spermatozoa are the male reproductive cells whose role is to fertilize the egg.
For each ejaculation, the amount of sperm released is 2 to 6 ml with an average concentration of 200 million spermatozoa. Moreover, among the criteria which determine the quality of sperm, are the number of spermatozoa it contains, their strength and their mobility.
A habit that reduces sperm quality
There are different factors that negatively affect sperm quality, such as a diet rich in processed and industrial foods, stress, overweight, smoking, alcohol, and prolonged exposure to chemicals or heat.
According to a study by experts at the University of Copenhagen, whose results were published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, a habit as innocuous as watching television reduced sperm quality, a third. This study, conducted on 1,200 healthy young men, showed that the group who spent nearly 5 hours a day in front of their small screen had a sperm concentration of about 37 million / ml compared to 52 million / ml for the group Hardly looked at her.
According to these same experts, this decrease in concentration would be associated with that of the level of testosterone in the body, which is the male hormone essential to the production of spermatozoa. The explanation for this phenomenon comes from the close connection between the number of hours spent watching TV and the lifestyle that is generally unhealthy and favors bad habits such as eating junk food and sedentary lifestyle. A link that happily does not exist if the television is replaced by a computer, unless it is placed on the knees, thus increasing the warmth of the testicles.
On the other hand, if the man succeeds in maintaining regular physical activity despite his weakness for television, he could counteract the reducing effect of sperm quality and thus preserve his intimacy health and fertility.
How to boost the quality of his sperm?
To increase the quality of sperm and boost its concentration in sperm, here are some tips to follow daily:
- Adopt a healthy and balanced diet that contains the nutrients that boost the quality of sperm such as vitamin B9 (broccoli, chew ...) whose deficiency leads to infertility; Omega-3 (sardines, mackerel, rapeseed oil) which soften the cell membrane and facilitate fertilization.
- Limit your consumption of red meat, industrial food and coffee
- Improve your lifestyle by reducing your stress, getting enough sleep and stopping smoking and alcohol
- Keeping a healthy weight or losing weight in case of obesity
- Do regular sports
- Drink 1.5 to 2 liters of water per day
- Maintain the ideal temperature of the testicles (34 ° C) by avoiding wearing too tight clothes, taking baths too hot or going to the sauna often
- Avoid placing your mobile phone in the pocket of your pants, because of the likely harmful effect of radiation
- Minimize your exposure to chemicals and products
- Make love regularly by having an ejaculation every 2 to 3 days.