By playing and having fun, children can fall, get hurt or even contract diseases. Although parents do their utmost to ensure the health of their young, in some cases contamination is inevitable. In addition to childhood diseases such as rubella, measles and chickenpox, which can be transmitted very easily, some activities can also be a source of contamination. Discover the testimony of this mom, whose child had an infection while playing in an inflatable castle.
Castles or inflatable houses are among the most popular activities. Installed in fairs or playgrounds and rented during occasions like birthday parties, inflatable castles are very much appreciated by small but also by large. These soft structures with fortress shapes allow the children to unleash and bounce, a little like the trampoline, in complete safety. Indeed, the whole castle is inflatable, even its walls, which reduces the risk of injuries. But as safe as they appear, these structures present some health hazards.
The main threat they pose is linked to their health side. Indeed, used by many children, these spaces are full of bacteria and germs that can be pathogenic and cause several infections. The story of this 10 year old child is perfect proof of this.
Brenda Sanderson is a mother of two boys. They had lunch at a restaurant in the Mcdonalds chain, where there were several outdoor activities, including the inflatable castles.
The mother claimed that her boys enjoyed themselves very well with their friends and did nothing special, except jumping and bouncing inside the inflatable castles. Two days after the party, Brenda noticed spots on her 10-year-old son's body. She asked him what they were owed, and he replied that it was perhaps because of the slips and jumps he was making in the inflatable houses. "I think I got burned because of the plastic. "
Brenda did not take the thing seriously and applied an antibacterial to her child's skin to disinfect. But the spots have not disappeared; on the contrary, they have multiplied and become more prominent. Those on his arm have developed impressively and have given way to open wounds. According to the mother, the wounds were spreading more and more on her body and were painful. "The sores were oozing and when it oozes it multiplies. "Said Brenda.
The mother immediately takes her child to the doctor, who asks her several questions, especially about the recent activities in which her son has been involved. There she informs him that he had played in an inflatable castle.
After hearing this information, the doctor directly made the link. He was sure it was an infection caused by staphylococci, bacteria that may be present on the plastic surface of these structures. "It's like a wrestling mat. Staphylococcus infections come from sports halls or something that has not been washed properly and that has developed bacteria. "The doctor said.
What is Staphylococcus Infection?
Staphylococci are bacteria, which are found in healthy people. Different types of this bacterium can be distinguished, but golden staphylococcus is the most closely related to infections. It can, in fact, cause serious infections, such as pneumonia, or skin conditions.
Staphylococci can be transmitted through different means, but having a cut and contacting an infected person or object increases the risk.
The skin infections associated with these bacteria are:
- Impetigo, which usually affects children
- Infectious cellulitis, caused by the penetration of germs under the skin, which most often affects the legs and arms
Precautions to be taken :
According to the doctor, the inflatable castle was the cause of the infection because these structures are rarely cleaned, while it is a necessity.
Thus, it is important to ensure that these structures are clean before renting or using them. It is also advisable to cover the wounds to avoid any type of infections.