Min menu


A 4 Month-old Baby Dies During His First Day At The Daycare, Here Is The Sad Cause Of His Death

A 4 Month-old Baby Dies During His First Day At The Daycare, Here Is The Sad Cause Of His Death

A 4-month-old Baby Dies During His First Day At The Daycare, Here Is The Sad Cause Of His Death

Reflux occurs when the milk your baby has swallowed goes back into his or her digestive tract (esophagus). The complete medical term is gastro-oesophageal reflux, it concerns more than 30% of newborns. Bottle-fed and breast-fed babies may have reflux.

Your baby's stomach contains acid that helps him break down his milk. This mixture of milk and acid can rise and annoy. However, these reflux can also be dangerous for your baby if he is unattended. The story that we present to you testifies to this dangerousness.

When a mother in Brazil left her 4-month-old baby Emanuelle Calheiros Maciel in daycare, she could not imagine it was the last time she saw her baby alive. The mother only left for two hours, but what happened during that time is tragic.

An hour after the mother left her daughter at the daycare, she received a picture of the employees holding her baby, saying that she was fine.

As soon as the mother arrived at the daycare to look for her daughter, one of the employees informed her that Emmanuelle was sleeping soundly. The mother then went to her daughter, but realized that it was too late, her baby was already blue and unconscious.

Walk to the hospital

As the daycare could not call an ambulance, the baby's uncle and mother had to walk to the hospital, which is two blocks away. When they arrived, the doctors did everything they could, but little Emanuelle had already left this world.

The uncle also claimed that the mother had taken an anti-reflux pillow at the nursery for the baby, but when they saw the crib, they noticed that the pillow was not used. Later, they discovered that the day care center did not even have a license to be on duty and to take in children.

What happened ?

The Forensic Institute of Campinas discovered that the baby Emanuelle was suffering from food asphyxia caused by gastric reflux that could have penetrated into his airways lying on his back, which blocked his breathing.

However, the only thing the daycare workers said to the mother is that the baby did not want to take a bottle. The civilian police recorded Emanuelle's death as a "suspicious death".

A 4-month-old baby dies during his first day at the daycare

What is food asphyxiation?
Food asphyxiation occurs when food, stomach acid or saliva blocks the airways or enters the lungs. It can cause choking and pneumonia. It is the first cause of accidental death in children under one year old.

The symptoms of food asphyxia usually appear as follows:

  • Wheezing
  • Breathing noise
  • Vomiting
  • Irritated throat
  • Chest discomfort
  • Night fever
  • A chronic cough
  • Excessive salivation

What to do when your baby chokes?

Here are the symptoms of a choking baby:
  • Bluish or purplish skin
  • Difficult breathing
  • Loss of consciousness

If your child is coughing or vomiting, that's a good sign. This means that the airways are not completely blocked, and coughing or vomiting is the most effective way to clear the airways.

If your baby chokes, call the emergency room. While you wait for them to arrive, here's what you can do:
  1. Lean baby forward and pat him on the back with an open hand
  2. Put the baby on your back and do some chest compressions
  3. If the baby still chokes, repeat.

Emanuelle was also the victim of the inattention and lack of professionalism of the daycare employees, neglecting the use of the anti-reflux cushion that his mother brought, which could have avoided this asphyxiation.

This story is a warning to parents to pay more attention to their babies because the risks of food asphyxia are great knowing that some babies often have reflux after being fed. Share with your loved ones and friends so that more people are aware!