Min menu


This Mother Almost Loses Her Legs Because Of A Common Habit Of Most Women

This Mother Almost Loses Her Legs Because Of A Common Habit Of Most Women

This Mother Almost Loses Her Legs Because Of A Common Habit Of Most Women

A simple routine can have an adverse effect on health, such as manual shaving. The use of a mechanical razor is often the cause of injuries that seem innocuous but can significantly damage the skin. As was the case for this woman who, after shaving her pubic area, almost lost her legs due to a deadly infection. Explications!

Dana Sedgewick contracted an infection after shaving the pubic area with a brand new razor and cutting herself at the groin. A few minutes later, she develops a red rash on her legs that quickly becomes black. The woman was quickly transported to the hospital where doctors diagnosed a rare condition called necrotizing fasciitis.

A simple action that cost Dana her life

As soon as Dana arrived at the hospital, she was quickly taken to the operating room where the doctors removed all the rotten skin. But the young woman has developed sepsis (a syndrome of general and serious infection of the body by pathogens, the spread of this is done by blood and a set of clinical signs result) and has been placed in the coma. Despite the minimal chance of survival, Dana woke up from her coma but still struggled with kidney failure and four heart attacks.

Common Habit Of Most Women

Dana says that after shaving, she felt really bad then she noticed the appearance of a small button on her groin that did not stop bleeding, she knew that this little button could cost him his life !

The first time Dana saw her legs, she was in total shock, all her muscle was rotten, she could not look at her legs anymore. She could have lost her life.

After six weeks, Dana was able to leave the hospital but the next four years were exhausting as she had to undergo 21 surgeries to improve the appearance of her legs. Her husband, Matthew, was at his side all the time!

Dana adds that at the beginning of this incident, she had trouble accepting the situation except that the presence of her husband helped her to overcome her tragedy.

Focus on necrotizing fasciitis

Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare disease; it is a form of a bacterial infection that spreads very rapidly. The bacterium reaches the subcutaneous tissues and spreads along the tissues that cover the muscles. These bacteria are also called "flesh-eating bacteria", but this name is false because bacteria do not feed on the flesh but instead release toxins that destroy soft tissues such as skin and underlying fat.

Necrotizing fasciitis is a medical emergency whose rapid evolution is sometimes fatal, the mortality rate can reach 30%.

The first signs of necrotizing fasciitis are often fever, chills, redness and pain in the wound and then an inflammation of the skin that can turn black. All these symptoms can suddenly occur between 12 and 48h.

Causes of necrotizing fasciitis:

Necrotizing fasciitis usually begins with a cut or tear in the skin that allows bacteria to penetrate. Bacteria can infect burns and hematomas as well as cuts and scratches. Other traumas can lead to infection including surgery, bites by animals or dental treatments.

It is important to note that this disease may appear even if the skin has not been damaged and this is the case in people whose immune system is compromised.

Treatment and prevention of necrotizing fasciitis:

As soon as the symptoms mentioned above appear, hospitalization becomes imminent. Necrotizing fasciitis must be treated quickly to increase the chances of healing. Treatment is through intravenous antibiotics. In the most severe cases surgery is necessary to extract the infected skin, amputation is also one of the solutions to prevent the spread of the disease in the rest of the body.

There are some simple actions to prevent this disease, which are often hygiene rules:
  • Always clean and disinfect wounds, even the small ones.
  • Avoid bathing when the skin is damaged.
  • Opt for long-sleeved clothes and pants for outdoor sports to avoid scratches.
  • Contact a doctor promptly if you have been in contact with a person with the disease or if your wounds become painful and red.