Min menu

Pages

It's Terrible What Happens To Your Body 10 Hours After Applying Nail Polish

It's Terrible What Happens To Your Body 10 Hours After Applying Nail Polish

The majority of women of our time wear nail polish. This habit dates back even thousands of years. Whether at a beauty salon or at home, the application of nail polish is more than commonplace and gives a certain aesthetic appeal to women. However, some components of nail polish are allergenic, toxic, even carcinogenic.

Nail Polish

Nail polish: highly toxic product?

The majority of nail polish on the market contain chemicals that are harmful to your health. They contain toluene (neurotoxic), formaldehyde, a carcinogenic substance and xylene without forgetting dibetylphtalae, powerful endocrine disruptor also contained in the majority of nail polish. The combination of all these products can have a significant impact on the health of nail polish users. These substances can cause asthma, dermatitis, and even promote the development of breast cancer.

It is therefore essential to choose a water-based nail polish, mentioning the inscription "3 free", "4 free", "5 free", and up to "8 free" on the label. This designation certifies that the product does not contain any of the four hazardous substances such as toluene, formaldehyde, dibetylphthalate and xylene. However, this does not prove to be safe with certainty.

Another agent known to be highly toxic and potentially harmful to health is also present in nail polish: triphenyl phosphate (TPHP), a chemical agent that can seriously disrupt the body and hormonal function.

A study conducted by researchers at Duke University and the Environmental Working Group found an endocrine disruptor by analyzing the urine of 26 women who had their nails painted a few hours earlier.

According to Heather Stapleton, PhD and Professor at Duke University, TPHP is a priori used in nail polish substitutes phthalates deemed toxic to human reproduction. Associated with the other four dangerous substances contained in nail polish, its regular application demonstrates how harmful its long-term use can be.

Nails are not impervious to all these toxic substances and do not form a protective barrier to the entry of these products into our body. In addition, nail polishes contain volatile substances directly absorbed by inhalation.

Nail polish can therefore pose a risk for consumers by causing irritation or allergies without forgetting the deformation of the nail, its yellowing and the disappearance of cuticles.

Although nail polish is not necessarily the only responsible, a study conducted in California reveals that beauticians practicing in beauty salons suffer from several conditions due to daily exposure to these chemicals.

Precautions and alternatives

According to some researches, nail polish labels must mention all the components contained in the product, hence the importance of reading them well before purchase or use in a beauty salon or at home.

Alternatives to the installation of nail polish called basic and containing toxic products exist. Green, water-based or 100% organic varnishes or those bearing the inscription "3 free", "4 free", "5 free", "four free" and up to "8 free" on the label are the most popular among consumers who want to move towards a less effective practice on nail polish but more ecological and not harmful to health because of the replacement of harmful substances by potatoes, cotton, corn or wheat among others.

Another precaution to take, well ventilate the parts where the nail polish is applied.