Min menu

Pages

Mc Donalds: Traces Of Poo Found On Touch Screens

Mc Donalds: Traces Of Poo Found On Touch Screens

After several researches that have shown the harmfulness of Mcdonald's junk food on human health, the alarm bells do not stop there. Apparently even restaurants can be a nest for dangerous bacteria!

According to a survey conducted in the United Kingdom by the Department of Microbiology at London Metropolitan University, faeces would have been found on every McDonald's self-service touch screen.

Disturbing results
Samples were taken at six McDonald's establishments in London and two at Birmingham. The samples all revealed contamination by bacteria present in human faeces.

According to Dr. Paul Matawele of the London Metropolitan University, his team of researchers was surprised at the amount of intestinal and fecal bacteria present on touchscreen machines. These bacteria cause the type of infections that people contract in hospitals.

He added that Enterococcus faecalis is part of the bacteria of the gastrointestinal tract of humans and other mammals. This bacterium is known in hospitals to cause nosocomial infections that can be fatal.

In these restaurants, customers first choose their food on the screens before going to the box office to eat. According to the report, customers often do not wash their hands or wipe them with a hand sanitizer.

Bacteria of all types
In one of the Mcdonald's restaurants, the tests showed the presence of staphylococcus aureus. Some strains of this bacteria can cause food poisoning when food is contaminated and they are not refrigerated properly. Food may also be contaminated by the equipment and surfaces on which it is prepared.

Commenting on these results, Dr. Matawele stated that seeing staph on these machines is worrisome since this bacterium is highly contagious. He explained that the contamination starts from the nose. If people touch their nose with their fingers and then touch the touch screen, someone else will catch the bacteria, and if that person has an open cut where the bacteria can penetrate it can be dangerous.

At a McDonald's on Oxford Street in London, the listeria bacteria was also discovered. Listeria can cause listeriosis, a disease that mainly affects the elderly, children and pregnant women. Dr. Matawele said the bacteria can also be very contagious and a problem for people with weakened immune systems.

During the search, another bacterium was found on the screens. About 3 screens out of 4 had traces of Proteus bacteria. This bacterium can be found in human and animal excrement. It is also present in the soil. It can cause infections of the urinary tract and it can be responsible for sepsis that is caused by the development of pathogens in the blood.

Klebsiella a bacterium that comes from the intestines and mouth, was also discovered. It is associated with urinary tract infections, sepsis and diarrhea. Some species can infect the respiratory tract and cause pneumonia.

Following the results of this survey, a McDonald's spokesperson said that their self-control screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. He also added that their restaurants offer guests the opportunity to wash their hands before eating.

A lack of hand hygiene
According to Dr. Philip Tierno, clinical professor of microbiology and pathology at New York University School of Medicine, every time many people touch the same surface over time, they deposit bacteria from three sources of the body: respiratory cutaneous and faecal.

He also explained that this report shows that people do not pay attention to the hygiene of their hands, while 80% of all infectious diseases are transmitted by direct and indirect contact.