Cancer is a disease we often hear about today. It manifests itself by the development of cancer cells at the level of a given organ and can spread and affect the adjacent tissues, which can lead to serious damage and sometimes death. In this article, we will shed light on colon cancer, its causes and symptoms, as well as the various actions to be taken on a daily basis to reduce the risk of developing it by up to 50%.
What is colon cancer?
In USA, colon cancer is the third most common type of cancer and the second most fatal type after cancer of the lungs. It is manifested by the mutation of the cells naturally present on the intestinal walls in cancerous tumors. This change usually takes place slowly and gradually over several years, which is why it is important to carry out regular medical checks, especially from the age of 50, at which age the risk of the disease Increase.
What Causes Colon Cancer?
The most important causes of colon cancer are:
- A diet too rich in animal fats such as red meat or deli meat
- A low intake of plant fibers and antioxidants
- Overweight or obesity
- Excessive inactivity
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Certain genetic diseases such as Lynch syndrome or adenomatous polyposis (presence of benign tumors in the rectum or colon)
- A family history of colon cancer
- Inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract
What are his symptoms?
As mentioned above, the development of cancer cells is very gradual, so that its signs usually appear only when it has reached a fairly advanced stage. They generally present themselves as follows:
- Persistent abdominal pain, sometimes accompanied by bloating and flatulence
- Presence of blood in stool
- Disorders of intestinal transit
- Continuous need to go to the saddle
- Excessive weight loss
- Loss of appetite with a feeling of exhaustion.
The chances of curing the cancer are related to the phase in which it was discovered. It is therefore important to listen to your body to identify any changes or disturbances in its functioning and to carry out a regular medical examination, especially if you already have some of the risk factors mentioned above.
Advice to reduce the risk of colon cancer?
To reduce considerably and naturally the risks of colon cancer, here are some tips to follow absolutely:
- Reduce the amount of animal fat consumed. A meta-analysis by more than 800 studies conducted by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) showed that a consumption of 100 g or more per day increased the risk of colon cancer by 29% And that a daily intake of 50 g or more of sausages also increased them by 21%.
- Increase your daily intake of vegetables and fruits in order to have a better intake of plant fibers and antioxidants that play a protective role against the development of cancer cells
- Exposure regularly to the sun, without abuse, to ensure a sufficient intake of vitamin D. According to the EPIC study, a vitamin D level in the blood that exceeded 40 ng / ml was associated with a risk of colon cancer 40% lower, compared to less than 10 ng / ml
- Ensure moderate weight because obesity and overweight increase visceral fat and the risk of cancer
- Use olive oil for baking
- Stop drinking and smoking
- Practicing regular physical activity
- Eat more garlic, known for its anti-cancer virtues
- Eat more plums, which promote intestinal transit and contribute to its cleansing
- Starting at 50 years of age and with a family history or genetic disease, carry out one every 5 years and a colonoscopy every 10 years.